Beate Spitzmüller studied Fine and Interdisciplinary Arts in Frankfurt and Freiburg. She draws, photographs, collages and develops concepts for her installation-pieces. In her work, various media interconnect and work upon one another. Conceptually based, her output often consists of works in series and inter-linked. In recent years, it predominantly focuses on “time” and its internal processes, identity in all its facets, all the while exploring social, social and environmental issues. Upon completing her studies, Spitzmüller relocated to Berlin.
Spitzmüller has exhibited and created in-situ project-related works in Germany and abroad, notably in Australia, India, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, and the USA. The beneficiary of numerous scholarships and artist residencies, including the International Akerby Scholarship, Sweden (2000); a grant from the Fondation Bartels, Switzerland (2006); a grant from the Cranach Foundation, Wittenberg (2008). She was artist-in-residence at the Greatmore Studios in 2009 in Cape Town and the following year a scholarship holder at the BagFactory in Johannesburg, where she lived and worked for several months. In 2011, she received a scholarship from the Schlossberg Böblingen Kunstverein, where she worked on both individual citizens’ and the city’s history time window in conjunction with local residents, investigating personal and collective memories.
"Inevitably, my career trajectory is closely linked to my personal life and constantly shaped by artistic debate, personal development and dialogue."
- 1986-88: Académie des Arts Decoratifs, Strasbourg, Department of Ceramics
- 1988-93: Free Academy of Fine Arts Freiburg, Department of Free Painting
- 1991-93: Städelschule Frankfurt, Academy of Fine Arts, Department of Interdisciplinary Arts
- Collaborative work with Ilya Kabakov at “Leeren Museum”
- Worked as a freelance artist since 1993
Awards, Scholarships, Artist Residencies
- 2016: 4.th International VideoDay of Experimental- & Animation Shortfilms, G.A.S. Station, Berlin, Germany
- 2014: IX International Biennial of Drawing, Pilsen, Czech Republic
- 2011: Schlossberg fellow of Kunstverein Böblingen, Germany
- 2011: Artist-in-Residence, Lugar a Dudas, Cali, Colombia
- 2010: Scholarship at the Bagfactory, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2009: Artist-in-Residence, Greatmore Studio, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2008: Scholarship from the Cranach Foundation, Wittenberg, Germany
- 2006: Scholarship from the Bartels Fondation Culture House, Small Markgräflerhof, Basel, Switzerland
- 2002: Deutsches Elfenbeinmuseum, as part of the Art Prize of Bernd-Rosenheim Foundation, “Energy, Dynamics, Dance-movement in Space”, Erbach, Germany
- 2000: Scholarship, Akerby Sculpture Park, Nora, Sweden
- 1994: State Museum Majdanek, as part of the IV International Art Triennial, Majdan ek, Lublin, Poland